How to Spring Clean the Outside of Your Home
We are excited to talk today about how to spring clean the outside of your home. While cleaning your home is an important part of your life, ensuring that the exterior of your house is sparkling will make you feel even better. Increase your home’s curb appeal, feel like you’ve bought a brand new home, and become the envy of the neighbors by cleaning the outside of your home!
Everyone gives a great spring cleaning checklist for the inside of the home, but who talks about the outside of the house? Cleaning your doors, windows, patio, deck, pool area, grill, and driveway is crucial! As you do spring cleaning in your home once a year, you should at least give the outside of your home that much attention once a year! Let’s dive in!
- Doors and Windows It’s a good idea to clean windows and doors to get rid of dirt and grime that has accumulated there from the elements of the winter. You can use a microfiber cloth with a proper cleaning solution to do a deep clean or hire a professional to do the door and window washing for you. Shine® will make sure your glass surfaces shine like new! Check your window glass for any chips or areas in need of repair, and don’t forget to repair or replace any broken or loose door and/or window screens. Touch up any paint chips on your doors and window sills to create instant curb appeal.
- House Washing It’s a smart idea to get a great house washing. In fact, according to Consumer Reports, you can increase the value of your home by up to 5% by getting a great pressure washing job done. Shine up your vinyl siding or garage door with a power washer completed by a professional! Now is the perfect time to hire a professional to pressure wash the outside of your home. A professional pressure washing company will wash your porch, driveway, siding, sidewalk, patio, pool area, deck, and more. For the perfect pressure washer job with the right equipment, work with Shine®.
- Gutters As part of your spring cleaning checklist, you must check out your gutters! Simply washing them out with a garden hose is usually not good enough. You need to power wash your gutters to remove the leaves, grime, and dirt that has accumulated there. Hire a professional to do the job for you, as they have the ladders and long-handled equipment needed to do the job right. At Shine®, we make sure your gutter cleaning is done in the best way possible! We thrive on quality!
- Patio, Deck, and Porch Spruce up your patio furniture by giving it a good cleaning with dish soap and water. Add archways, trellises, gazebos, benches, and pergolas if you so desire. Call Shine® or visit our website for a free estimate for pressure washing these outdoor areas. We’ll take care of all of it, so you don’t have to!
- Pool Area It’s important to have your pool and pool area, including your wood decks or pathways, cleaned by a professional. Shine® will pressure wash these areas for you. Don’t forget to organize your pool equipment and skim the pool or pond for any critters before having your first pool party of the season!
- Landscaping Be sure to organize your lawn and gardening equipment. Take care of any mowing or landscaping needs your property has. This may mean pruning your trees, shrubs, and/or bushes. Clean up your gardening beds, remove any broken branches, and rake the leaves up. Repot or freshen up any porch plants you may have.
- Fence Repair loose fence boards, apply touch-up paint, and add water sealant if necessary. Be sure to note any other home improvement projects you may need to do in the future as you notice them.
- House Painting It may be time to add some touch-up paint to your home, as well. If a full paint job is needed, you may be wise to hire a professional rather than do it yourself.
- Driveway, Sidewalk, and Walkway Be sure to clean up any trash or weeds in or on your driveway, sidewalk, porch, patio, or other outdoor areas. If you see a problem area with insects or critters, hire a pest control company right away.
- Grill and Outdoor Dining Before your first summer barbeque, sort and organize your grill equipment and clean up your grill. Scrub away any dirt, grease, or grime that appears on your grill and make it shiny and new-looking. For more grill cleaning tips, check out this article from Real Simple.
- Roof It is recommended that you leave the roofing jobs to the professionals, but you might be able to inspect your roof to monitor its health or get a free inspection from a local company. They will check for missing shingles, nails, and other issues.
- Pet House Clean up your dog’s home. Organize any toys or pet equipment you may have lying around your backyard. You might even use a garden hose to wash down your fur baby’s home to make it sparkle bright! Likewise, if you have other outdoor toys that belong to you and your children, clean those up and get organized.
- Holiday Lighting As the holiday season has passed, it may be time to remove holiday lighting and decorations if you haven’t already done so.
- Garage, Shelter, and Shed Now is a great time to do the spring cleaning of your garage! Plus, if you have a tornado or storm shelter, it’s time to prepare and clean that area as well. You’ll want to go through a tornado prep list to fully prepare for tornado season this spring in Oklahoma! The Red Cross has a great tornado safety checklist you can refer to. It’s time to declutter your garage, shelter area, and tool shed! When you declutter your garage, be sure to donate any unused tools and sporting equipment to the Goodwill or Salvation Army. If you have any unusable equipment or tools, go ahead and toss them. To clean your garage thoroughly, wipe down any shelves or shelving units you have and any cobwebs you see. Using a good cleaning solution and rag, clean off your surfaces. Be sure you sweep and mop the garage as well. When you are done, don’t forget to enjoy a job well done!
You should now have a good idea of how to spring clean the outside of your home. We’ve covered how to clean your windows and doors, patio, porch, sidewalks, driveway, house siding, and pool area. You should now have a sparkling clean home if you’ve followed this checklist to the fullest extent!